Tuesday, August 3, 2010

USED AND RARE: TRAVELS IN THE BOOK WORLD by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone

I'm only on page 25 but enjoying this book immensely. It was recommended by my friend Yvette, a book lover/artist extraordinaire.

She and I are kindred spirits and found each other on an author's forum. Our love of books, and now each having our first grandchild, has cemented our friendship. We have never met but I call her one of my best friends and it feels as if I've known her forever. Her knowledge and love for books is evident in her wonderful blog, in so many words... check it out!

RARE AND USED is a true account of a married couple stumbling upon the used and rare book world. They each tried to outdo the other with their birthday presents and each year it got more ridiculous than the last. They ended up discovering a passion for used and rare books.

Did you know that the Limited Editions Club was started by George Macy and he employed the best artists of the time to illustrate his beautiful bound and very limited run of books? He got Matisse for Ulysses, Norman Rockwell for Mark Twain, and even Picasso for Lysistrata. Fascinating! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for recommending this, Jean, and my blog. This is one of my favorite books and I never tire of letting people in on its charms. Aren't the characters they meet wonderful?

    ReplyDelete